Advice for holidaymakers about Brexit

While the Brexit discussion is ever-changing, we know that flights from the UK will still be permitted so you can rest assured that we’ll be operating all of our holidays as normal. This means Brexit shouldn’t have any effect on your flight. ABTA has provided some useful advice for holidaymakers, which should answer some of the most common questions you may have. Find out more here:

Key things you should know:

  • Planes will still fly between the UK and the EU from 29 March 2019. In both scenarios, this will be the case so you don’t have to worry about being stranded. If a deal is agreed, we will be in a transition period meaning that flights will continue as normal until December 2020. If we are in a no-deal scenario, the European Commission and UK government have agreed that UK and EU airlines will continue to operate flights between the UK and EU.


  • You shouldn’t need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit. The European Commission has said that from 2021, it’s likely that UK citizens will need to pay a fee of around seven euros for this visa exemption. Before this, holidaymakers can continue to visit the EU as normal without a visa. We will keep our customers updated on this.


  • Remember to check your passport expiry date. The UK government has recommended that you have at least six months left on your passport, although this may vary depending on where you are travelling to. All travellers are advised to use this online passport checker tool beforehand:


  • As usual, take out travel insurance. Avoid any last minute surprises by taking out appropriate travel insurance for your trip.In the event of a no-deal Brexit, UK registered European Health Insurance Cards (EHICs) will no longer be valid, so it is advised that holidaymakers make sure they are covered for things like personal injury, lost luggage and medical expenses.


  • Check your driving licence and car insurance. Under a no-deal Brexit, UK holidaymakers may need to apply for an international driving permit, and it’s possible you may need different permits for different EU countries. It’s also worth noting that UK citizens will need to carry a Green Card in order for their car insurance to be applicable in the EU.


Please note that when you book a package holiday through us – which means you pay a single price for your travel and accommodation – you’re legally protected under the Package Travel Regulations. This means that if we can’t provide your holiday, you’ll receive a full refund.

We hope this has been helpful. We’ll keep this page updated as new information becomes available.

Travel Republic is a full member of ABTA and holds a full ATOL licence (10581), meaning you can book your holiday safe in the knowledge that you’re protected.