How do I claim VAT?

The position on providing a VAT invoice is not as straight forward as it might appear. Travel Republic only acts as an agent in relation to your booking, which we clearly set out in our terms of business.

Our VATable service is to the hotel room provider who pays commission to us in relation to bookings we make, and it is to them we must and do account for VAT.

Generally, the hotel concerned should be able to issue you with a VAT invoice, although in some cases this too may be difficult as it is normal for rooms to be pre-sold in bulk by the hotel to other companies who then make them available to agencies, such as Travel Republic.

In such cases it would be these companies who would be responsible for providing VAT invoices in line with the VAT regulations of the countries in which they are based, which are often outside the UK due to the international nature of the travel industry.

We are sorry we cannot provide what you need but we are acting in line with direct advice from HMRC in relation to this type of transaction and from our own professional advisors.

Should you require this, our VAT number is: 384 1119 05.